Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sedition Act & Double Standard

On 30th August 2008, I led a team of Gerakan Tanjong Youth members to lodge a police report at the North-East District Police HQ at Petani Road on the alleged seditious speech made by an UMNO Division Chairman.

The alleged seditious speech was made during the Permatang Pauh by-election (based on Sin Chew Jit Poh newspaper report on 25th August 2008 and sinchew-i online news on 24th August 2008).

On 1st September, Lim Guan Eng's political secretary, Ng Wei Aik also lodged a near carbon copy police report on the same issue. If the Pakatan Rakyat want to be a copyCAT, it is their choice.

The point I want to highlight is the double standard or inconsistencies of the Pakatan Rakyat. PR want to abolish the Sedition Act but yet they are using this particular act. Ng Wei Aik said that since the act had not been abolished, he want it to be used on that UMNO politician. What a hypocrite party!!!

I am a supporter of the Sedition Act - it is necessary in our country. Of course, it must be used only when applicable.

I am curious what effective "law" can be used against politicians that use seditious words or statements. Can the PR readers on my blog advise?


P.S. See my earlier post titled What Does Sedition Mean (Friday, May 16) which is Azmi Sharom thoughts on sedition, while the table is my compilation of sedition law in other countries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HeeHeeHee, don't have answerlah!

Anonymous said...

H'ng,

Don't take my comment personally. We are here, for academical discussion, and for the betterment of society.

Read my blog entry carefully.

http://voiceofpolitics.wordpress.com/2008/09/04/justified-the-unjustify/#comment-848