Thursday, April 24, 2008

Public Apathy


While I was in the midst of deciding what to blog today, a serious crime officer came to my front door and ask for help. He was having problem communicating with an old lady living a few doors from my unit. She was in her eighties. The serious crime team was investigating the kidnapping of a young boy. The boy was drugged and held captive in a flat. When the kidnappers went out a few hours later, the boy managed to untied himself & escape. The boy seems smart and speak very well. The police were taking the young boy to locate the flat and the unit where he was held captive.

After helping the police, the officer requested for my IC so that he will have my particulars to complete his investigation notes.

But, I notice that most of the neighbours except for a middle age lady was invisible during that period. Were they afraid of the police or just couldn't care?

The middle age lady was a friend of the old lady. She visited the old lady home during the time of the said captivity. But, when the police asks for her IC to record her particulars, she declined. Eventually, she did gave them verbally her particulars after some persuasion.

Just two month ago, I help apprehend a petty thief who was trying to steal all the ladders on top of a resident's van. The petty thief was desperate, he had managed to steal one ladder just before sunrise, but was having a hard time breaking the chain of the second ladder without proper tool.

The worst things about this incident is that it happened during the early morning when residents was going to work or taking their children to school. They knew something was fishy but did nothing. Some including the guard did ask the thief what he was doing, the thief told them his boss want him to take the ladders to Butterworth.

When I came down at 6.40 am, I ask an old resident assistance to get the owner of the van to come down while I watch what the thief was doing. Together, three of us apprehend the thief. I called the police a few times and waited for the police car to arrive before going to work. Later, the police called me to arrange for the van owner to go and make his police report.

A week ago, I met the owner of the van and ask him about the progress of the case. He said he was busy and the police had released the thief.

SOMETIMES I WONDER WHY I CARE WHEN NEARLY ALL DON'T.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is why IPCMC is needed.
Will you consider not paying your income tax as this is the type of service that you are getting ? You have to slog it out daily for your income and this friend of ours wanted an easier way. Taking the thief in means more work - got to file report, investigate and etc. This means not enough time to ronda which is their favourite choice of work to take ensure security for the citizens.